Friday, September 5, 2008

Food, Glorious Food...some things to chew on!

I don't claim to be a nutrition expert, but I am somewhat obsessed with the ingredients in the food I buy. Because of some personal issues, fiber is an essential ingredient in my diet. Other things I look for (to avoid) are high fructose corn syrup, and hydrogenated oils.


I recently came across a foodie who is as obsessed with high fructose corn syrup as I am! Check it out here. She has great healthy recipes, as well as tips on which snack brands DON'T have HFCS!


I love this fun website that encourages kids to make healthy choices, focusing on promoting the good foods instead of banning the bad.


For fun baking experiments--vegan style--check this out.


To find out how to "make masterpieces from leftovers," go here.


In our family, we really do try to eat healthy most of the time. I really have a sweet tooth, however, so here are some blogs I drool over. My friend, Aly's amazing cake blog and Rachel's baking adventures. YUM!

And for those of you who don't receive Hungry Girl's daily e-mails, you should!!!! GREAT tips on every day healthy eating!

What are some of your rules, tips, or tricks for eating right? We're all part of this fitalicious family here, what helps you stay motivated in your healthy-eating quest? Share your knowledge!

Happy Eating!

6 comments:

Missy said...

Thanks for the websites. I'll check those out. My biggest trick is just not to buy my favorite unhealthy foods. Then I don't have them in my house and I can't eat, say a whole bag of oreo cookies all by myself. Yes, I will do that. This way, the only time I'm tempted is at the grocery store. Works pretty good for me. I also buy tons of fruit, cuz I have a sweet tooth as well. I pre-wash all fruit except strawberries (it makes them go bad faster.) Then I tell the kids they don't ever have to ask for the yummy fruit. They always have to ask for sugar treats. They like it that they can get into the fruit whenever they want and eat as much as they want.

Lyenna said...

First of all, I'm loving your Fit me Pink blog. Second, I mostly use portion control. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm satisfied, not full. Also I cut out extra fat, for example, I use mustard, instead of mayo, for a sandwich and pile on the veggies to make it more satisfying. Also good rule of thumb, pay attention to serving size. If it's bigger than your fist (use this for fruit, potatoes, etc) or palm (use this for chicken, steak, etc) it's too big. Also with dessert, have it, just don't go overboard. So far all of this has worked for me. I had Kody 2 months ago and I'm 5lbs. from my pre-pregnancy weight.

Michael said...

Why don't you enlighten us on how to eat out healthily?

Aly said...

Lots of...
Fiber/Grains
Fruit
Vegis

2 servings...
dairy

Easy on the...
leans meats

8 glasses (or more)...
of water

Essential Fats/Oils
Very small amount

All in moderation 6 days/week...
AND one over induldging day that I throw it all out the window!

Aly said...

P.S. Thanks for mentioning my cake blog:)

TamiAbbyKevin said...

I try to avoid the five whites which are well known for giving you a "gut" "rice gut', spare tire, whatever you want to call that extra around your waist line.

the five whites:
White flour
White pasta
White sugar
White rice
White potatoes

So what the heck do I eat?
Hmmm.... good question
Whole wheat bread
Whole wheat couscous
Quinoa (said to be the most nutritous grain, its high in protietn - use like rice, or like oatmeal)
Brown rice (brown rice cakes are nice to snack on)
Oatmeal
Whole wheat pasta

And I try to eat my vegetables
Go for variety in color