Thursday, January 28, 2010

AMAZING Broccoli Recipe

Last Sunday night, we had some people over for dinner. When I was planning the menu, I was HUNGRY, so I made lots of good food. I probably shouldn't tell you everything (not so healthy) that was on the menu, but I'm keeping it real, so I will. We grilled steaks, I made potato logs, orange cream jello salad, peach muffins, and peach cobbler. BUT GUESS WHAT EVERYONE WANTED SECONDS (and thirds and fourths...) OF? THE STEAMED BROCCOLI!

I personally thought it tasted amazing, but figured that was mainly due to the fact that I've reached the stage in my pregnancy where pretty much all food tastes AMAZING (hallelujah)! But no, each person at the table asked for the broccoli when their plates were clean. So it is with great pleasure that I present you with the recipe (from dealstomeals...woo!)

LEMON-BUTTER-BROCCOLI
  • 1 bunch broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds)...make sure it's fresh. I've tried frozen, and it wasn't nearly as tasty!
  • 4 teaspoons unsalted butter (melted)
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)

Cut the broccoli into spears, discarding the thick end. Steam the broccoli for about 10 minutes. (I have a steamer, so I just put it in there. You can also use a steamer basket. If doing this, bring about 3 inches of water to a boil in a large pot. Place the broccoli in the basket and add to the pot, steaming until crisp-tender). Remove from the pot. Combine all the other ingredients (besides the parmesan cheese), pour over the broccoli, stirring to mix. Sprinkle individual servings with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

Seriously...the BEST broccoli EVER!

12 comments:

Michael said...

Mmmmmm....

Shirley Hale said...

We have broccoli a lot. I'll have to try it out!

Marci & Marcus said...

people...hmmm, so that is what we are??!! j/k I've been craving that broccoli ever since!! We're having it tonight!!!

Rachel Corbett said...

Yum- I use a very similar recipe, except it's roasted in the oven and also has thinly sliced garlic- so good!

esherman10 said...

I made it tonight! It was yummy!

Kimberly said...

Do you think Devon would try it? Ha ha! Sounds good!

Anne Cropper said...

Michael and I made this recipe the other night for dinner. I got it from a weight watchers cookbook. It is awesome. I have never liked broccoli so much! This is a great recipe, and according to weight watchers only 1 point per cup.

Diane said...

I love broccoli! This recipe sounds great!

Christina said...

This product has been a HUGE HIT for marathon runners-thought I'd share!

http://www.youtube.com/nurichegoodness#p/u/15/OSuplzv56Ys

www.NuricheWell.com

I'd love to get your thoughts!

Grandma Hand said...

Wow I am really impressed with your eating healthy. Love ya lots!!!!!!!!!!

Bonnie and Brian Wayne said...

that DOES sound good!

And Hey - its Feb 1st. Do I have your email to email you a post....is that how we do it?

Tami H. said...

sounds delicious, thanks for the tip about the steamer in the pot. I have that, but never knew how to use it.