Thursday, December 18, 2008

The SIXTH Day of Fitness...Trends for 2009

Is getting in shape on your list of resolutions for 2009? A survey conducted by the American Council on Exercise predicts the most popular fitness trends in 2009. It's no surprise in a struggling economy that easy-on-the-pocketbook programs are among the most popular.

Among other findings, boot camp-style workouts hold their top spot from 2008 as the most popular workout! However, according to ACE's Cedric X. Bryant, Ph.D., “the overarching theme for fitness in 2009 is getting more bang for the buck...Consumers will engage in workouts that provide multiple benefits due to time and economic limitations. We will also see continued trends from 2008 including boot-camp style workouts, technology-based workouts, out-of-the-box programming and an increased interest in fitness for those who are over 50 years old.”

Here's a complete list of ACE's top fitness trends for '09:

Boot Camp-Style Workouts: Boot camp workouts are so popular. For me it's the I-love-it-so-much-because-I-want-to-die-when-it's-over workout! Boot camp style workouts are total-body at it's best. You strengthen muscles with pushups, squats, and lunges while also getting an amazing cardio workout! Plus you burn enough calories to justify all the holiday-goodie-eating, right?
Budget-Friendly Workouts: Gym memberships will decrease, and less people will hire personal trainers, etc. More people will use other resources...like FITMEPINK! Woo hoo...we're free!
Specialty Classes: Yoga and Pilates are predicted to remain strong, but dancy-dance classes are the new rage! Look out for Latin-dance inspired Zumba, Bollywood, ballroom, Afro-Cuban and other exotic dance styles. I love So You Think You Can Dance...even though I know I really can't! My hips just don't shake-a-like-a-that. Maybe these classes are the answer!
Back to Basics: Despite the trendy, advanced equipment and exercises, the basics continue to be what it's all about!
Circuit Training: A blend of strength training and cardiovascular activity at different intensities. If you're short on time, circuit training is great!
Kettlebells: I SO want to try these! Traditionally used in Russia, these crazy iron weights supposedly work to develop whole body fitness and core strength. Another whole-body workout!
Boomer Fitness: I love that people are seeing the importance of exercising as we age! Yay for the 50+ folks!
Technology-Based Fitness: We're talking iPods, Cardio Cinema, and exer-gaming (i.e., Wii Fit, Expresso Bikes, etc.) I love that technology continues to make exercise FUN! Can't wait to see the new 2009 inventions!
Event or Sport-Specific Exercises: This is how my husband justifies playing basketball on a regular basis with his guy-friends. "It's exercise." I can't argue with that!
Mixing It Up: It doesn't have to be high-intensity all the time! Mix it up for great results!

So what do you think? Are the predictions right? What are YOUR plans for 2009? And how do you work out on a budget?

2 comments:

Michael said...

The best thing I ever did was pay three years up front for my 24 Hour Fitness membership. It was a large expense at first, but the benefit is that when the three years are up, I don't have to pay a monthly fee. I just have to pay $30 a year to keep the membership open. If you're going to be around a gym for a long time (like three plus years), I recommend seeing if they have an option like that.

Kimberly said...

Yeah Baby!! I am totally amping up my workout in 2009...let's see how my class members agree!