Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Apple Cider Vinegar...The Miracle Drug!

Before I start today's post, if you still have questions about the Tuplers we learned about in Bonnie's guest post, check out the comment section. Also, check out Lose Your Mummy Tummy by Julie Tupler for a complete description of the exercises to do DURING and AFTER pregnancy to close the diastasis recti! Woo hoo! Now on my daily to do list: Seated Tuplers and Kegels! Man, I feel like a woman!

ANYWAY, I need to throw myself a little pity party for a minute. I have the WORST cold in the world! I literally cannot breathe through either nostril. I am so plugged up that my Neti Pot can't even get through. The liquid goes in one nostril, and comes out the mouth (instead of the other nostril). Yuck! Being sick and pregnant isn't very fun...nothing works, and I'm scared to take anything!

Luckily, I grew up in a family where home remedies are never further away than right in the pantry. One of these tried and true remedies my parents SWEAR by is apple cider vinegar. Anytime you feel a cold coming on, you drink up. (It has to be the kind with the MOTHER in it). It seems to help, and definitely doesn't hurt! At this point, I'll try anything to be able to breathe (and chew) with my mouth closed! (My husband, however, REFUSES to even take a sip. It's not that bad, really).

Today, I learned that Dr. Oz is on my side! Not only can apple cider vinegar help fight colds, be used as a replacement hair conditioner, and even help clean your windows, it can also help lower your blood sugar! Woo hoo!

According to Dr. Oz, drinking just 2 tablespoons of vinegar at or near the start of a meal may help prevent the spikes in blood sugar caused by eating starchy carbs (like potatoes or pasta). It does this by slowing the absorption of the carbs in these foods by slowing the digestion. It also helps insulin remove sugar from your blood into your cells. The result? Lower blood sugar levels!

Over the long haul, keeping your blood sugar from spiking will help lower your risk of diabetes. It will also help suppress your appetite, which will ultimately keep extra pounds off. This in turn makes your own insulin production more effective! You'll have more energy as a result, so you'll be more likely to keep that body moving! So take that, dearest hubby! I'm going to keep drinking my stinky apple cider vinegar! Although, I guess I could be a little more creative than just downing a diluted glassful. Dr. Oz suggests splashing new potatoes and vegetables with apple cider vinegar instead of mayo. Or if you're feeling really healthy-ambitious, why not start a meal with a mix of fresh greens and vegetables dressed in oil and vinegar? The benefits are real, people! I dare you to try it!

What weird home remedies do YOU swear by? Or is my family completely nuts?

By the way...we found out today that WE'RE HAVING A GIRL!!! Is it bad that I'm completely thrilled? Don't get me wrong...I ADORE my little boy. But he's...intense. I'm hoping for another angel of a girl. We'll see! :)

7 comments:

Michael said...

Thanks, Dr. Oz for finally backing us up.

Diane said...

We're completely nuts!!! Seriously!!

Jaclyn said...

Yeah for little girls! And thanks for the home remedy tip. I much prefer those than meds any day.

Bonnie Wayne said...

Thats so interesting you posted this today, I was just reading an editor's tip in a magazine that a little apple cider vinegar in your shampoo works wonders to "liven up your locks" in the wintertime.

It seems reading two things in one day is some kind of sign. That is cool about lowering blood sugar levels - I did not know that.

Now I have another reason to love vinegrette:)

esherman10 said...

Congrats on another little girl!

Grandma Hand said...

Wendall has been using the apple Cider Vinegar with the mother and it helps to regulate his blood sugar. I am really proud of you for researching what can help.

Judy Kallmeyer said...

I learned that the vinegar aids the action of the diabetes medication Metformin. I'm on it!