Before two days ago, the last time I went skiing was 5 years ago. My husband and I were just dating, in the marriage-discussion mode. We (along with my younger brother) were taking a ski class together. If ONE thing almost caused an end to our courtship, it was this ski class. You see, when I get nervous/feel insecure/wish I could crawl instead of ski down a mountain, I get a bit snippy. Don't try giving me advice. Don't tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'll bite your head off. After one particular ski class, mi esposo vowed NEVER to go skiing with me again. But he did again the next week. And I tried really hard to be nice. I guess it worked, because he still has his head, and we're married!
When my brother suggested a President's-Day-Ski-Trip, I had mixed feelings. But in the end, I agreed to go...without promising to not sit in the ski lodge all day. But I faced some fears, didn't die, only muttered a few expletives to the passing snow boarders, got a great leg workout (from snow plowing all day), and actually had fun (I only entered the lodge to use the bathroom)! And as far as I can recall, I didn't bite anyone's head off. I took "suggestions" with grace (and appreciation). I guess motherhood has humbled this proud little girl a bit. Here are some of the thoughts overheard in my brain throughout the day...
- Hmmm...the kids are with Grandma...let's go see a movie instead.
- Count to 10.
- Why does everyone on the ski lift insist on leaving the bar up?
- Don't look down.
- I'm going to DIE!
- Oh crap. I thought this was a GREEN hill?!?!?! When did it turn blue?
- And why is it so dang steep?
- Maybe I should try cross-country skiing instead.
- I'm going to fall...I'm going to fall...I'm going to FAAAAALLLLLL!!!!!
- Wait for me, guys!
- I'm coming!
- No, I'm not going to go faster. I like going horizontally down the hill.
- Just go ahead...I'll catch up...eventually!
- Why does that 3-year-old look like that, and I look like this?
- Woo hoo! I made it all the way down without falling once!
- Can we go back to the bunny hill?
- I feel really cool walking like a gangsta in my ski boots!
- And why am I in charge of the camera, again? I can barely hold on to the poles...do they really expect me to be able to handle taking pictures?
And my favorite conversation of the day:
Husband (to my brother and his cute new girlfriend): Today will be a good test for your relationship. It sure was for ours!
Do you ski? Are you as terrified of the lift as I am? What fears are you working to overcome?