Feliz Cinco de Mayo! Today has to be one of my favorite holidays of the year. Why? I love fiestas, and I love Mexican food!
Here are a few recipes for two appetizer dips you can feel good about: guacamole and salsa!
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pit, peel, and dice the avocados. Eat a chunk or two, then dump the avocado flesh into a bowl.e off easily. Dice the avocado flesh, and dump into a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, and toss to combine. I like mine chunky, so I don't mash the ingredients. If you prefer a smoother texture, mash away!
- Serve with tortilla chips for dipping, or as a yummy any kind of Mexi-food topping!
Eleisha's Yummy Fresh Salsa
- red, yellow, green, and orange bell peppers (1 of each)
- 2 whole tomatoes
- 2 cans whole tomatoes (or diced--whatever you have)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1-2 limes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp garlic salt
- Salt and pepper
- Cut peppers and tomatoes into chunks. Blend or process in a food processor the tomatoes, peppers, cilantro and green onions. (You may have to do it in batches depending on how much your blender/food processor will hold. I like it chunky, but blend it as much as you want). Mix it all in a bowl and add the seasonings to taste. Stir well and squeeze lime juice to taste.
- Great way to get lots of healthy veggies into your wee ones!
Enjoy! What are your favorite cinco de mayo tradiciones? Share a recipe!