Tuesday, May 5, 2009

2 Healthy Recipes for Cinco de Mayo

Feliz Cinco de Mayo! Today has to be one of my favorite holidays of the year. Why? I love fiestas, and I love Mexican food!

Here are a few recipes for two appetizer dips you can feel good about: guacamole and salsa!


Chunky Guacamole
  • 2 large ripe avocados
  • 1 small red onion, finely chopped
    2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
  • 1 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt


Instructions:

  • Pit, peel, and dice the avocados. Eat a chunk or two, then dump the avocado flesh into a bowl.e off easily. Dice the avocado flesh, and dump into a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, and toss to combine. I like mine chunky, so I don't mash the ingredients. If you prefer a smoother texture, mash away!
  • Serve with tortilla chips for dipping, or as a yummy any kind of Mexi-food topping!

______________________________________________

Eleisha's Yummy Fresh Salsa

  • red, yellow, green, and orange bell peppers (1 of each)
  • 2 whole tomatoes
  • 2 cans whole tomatoes (or diced--whatever you have)
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 1 bunch green onions
  • 1-2 limes
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 3 tsp garlic salt
  • Salt and pepper

Instructions:

  • Cut peppers and tomatoes into chunks. Blend or process in a food processor the tomatoes, peppers, cilantro and green onions. (You may have to do it in batches depending on how much your blender/food processor will hold. I like it chunky, but blend it as much as you want). Mix it all in a bowl and add the seasonings to taste. Stir well and squeeze lime juice to taste.
  • Great way to get lots of healthy veggies into your wee ones!

Enjoy! What are your favorite cinco de mayo tradiciones? Share a recipe!

1 comment:

Tami H. said...

The guacamole recipe is making me drool and the salsa sounds delicious too!!
I LOVE avocados. I hated them all growing up until 1 day in college, I loved them.
I have heard if you are taking omega 3's, avocados help your body balance them better.

My dad asked abby her favorite food when we were there for easter, and she said, I kid you not, Guacamole:)