Monday, September 21, 2009

Giving Shampoo-Free a Try!

Remember when I debated whether or not I should wash my hair everyday? I tried only washing it every other day for about a week, and was too grossed out by the post-workout-sweaty-hair, so I went back to my daily shampoo and conditioner nice-smelling ritual.
I still know that I definitely need to do something to cleanse my hair after working out each day. I was just born with sweaty genes...and sweat literally pours out of my hair follicles when I work out.

Lately, I've been reading around the web about something completely foreign to me--going completely 'poo-free. (I know...can you believe I just called it that?) I'm intrigued...and I can't believe I'm actually considering trying it.

I have a good friend who hasn't touched a bottle of shampoo for months. Every time she talks about her hair-non-cleansing ritual, I smile and nod, and think to myself, "I'm glad it works for you, but there ain't NO WAY this girl's giving up her shampoo". But then I did something else I never thought I would do...I switched to cloth diapers. And I actually love it!

So after reading on simplemom (and about 10 other blogs) about her experience going 'poo-free (I laugh every time I say that), I decided to give it a try...starting tomorrow.

Wait...before you unsubscribe to my blog, hear me out.

If I look and smell disgusting, and absolutely hate it, there's no harm in going back to shampoo, right?

Here are a few intriguing reasons simplemom gives for cleaning your hair without shampoo.

  1. Shampoo is a detergent. Sure it cleans your hair, but it also strips your hair of all the natural oils produced by your body. It's harsh stuff...we're essentially washing our hair with the same stuff we use to wash our dishes!
  2. Shampoo is full of all sorts of chemicals. If you're trying hard to eat natural, whole foods, why would you put something on your extremely porous skin (and scalp) through which harmful substances can enter the bloodstream? Most shampoos contain mineral oil--a byproduct when gasoline is distilled from crude oil. Mineral oil (and hundreds of other products) are added to shampoo to coat the strands and give the hair an artificial shine. Mineral oil can't absorb into the skin, so it creates a barrier on the scalp preventing oil from being released. You then need MORE shampoo to wash away the built-up grease. Yes...my scalp is definitely addicted to shampoo! (And it needs an artificial protectant--conditioner--to combat the stripping of oils!)

I'm sure there are hundreds of other reasons shampoo isn't really good for you. And while one of my favorite smells in the world is a nice, clean head of shampoo'd hair, I'm willing to give going 'poo-free a try.

Here's what I'm going to do:

  1. Pour 1 Tbsp baking soda into a little 8 oz. squeeze bottle, then add a cup of water. I'll give it a good shake to dissolve the baking soda. When I'm in the shower, I'm going to squeeze the solution onto my scalp, I'm going to rub it in, let it sit for a minute or two, then rinse it out. Baking soda is gentle, it’s the weakest alkaline, and it supposedly removes chemical buildup from the hair.
  2. Apple Cider Vinegar--which I've been know to drink for it's health benefits--is the next key ingredient in the 'poo-free cleansing ritual. The standard recipe is also 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 Cup Water. After washing and rinsing with the baking soda mixture, focus on the ends and apply the vinegar mixture. Apple cider vinegar is a mild acidic, so it works to counteract the baking soda, and supposedly acts as a great replacement for conditioner. It detangles the hair follicles, seals the cuticles, and balances the hair’s pH balance.

For more trouble-shooting tips, check out simplemom's post. Until I've actually tried it, I can't be held responsible!

Have any of you gone 'poo-free? Are any of you willing to try this with me? Are any of you going to stop calling me friend if I stop washing my hair? I'll let you know next week how it goes...wish me luck!

8 comments:

Michael said...

Sounds like you're about to move up to Oregon, ride your bike everywhere, and hug trees on the weekends. I hope this doesn't lead to an "I'm not shaving anymore" post. If it gets to that point, I will no longer be able to visit you.

Good luck going "poo-free."

Aly said...

Oh, Man! Michael is HILARIOUS!!

I might try it...after you do:).

Heidi said...

Being from Oregon I would just like to say that I don't shave... :)

Laser hair removal is a girls best friend!

Diane said...

Michael!!

OK...I'll try this. I'm just so addicted to smelly good shampoo!!

Aubrey said...

I kind of agree with Michael. I'm all about being earth friendly and stuff, but there are some things I just can't give up. Next thing I know I'm going to be reading about you with the free cyclers in the next People.

Missy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kimberly said...

...This is Devon, I agree with Micheal. I expect to hear soon your moving in with an LDS/Amish colony somewhere secluded in the Rocky Mountains. There you can take baths and wash your hair with pure snow melt mana from heaven... with no Clorine, or harsh chemicals added to it. Just think about what is in that city water we wash our bodys with, and even drink... All that junk you clean from the shower doors every week, we are putting into our hair, and bodys from our city water sources. I think this might be the source for all the male pattern baldness we see... I am thinking of a lawsuit, you might just be onto something here Robyn.

Devo

Aly said...

So, I just tried going 'poo free this morning and I LOVE it!!! Seriously, my hair has not been this smooth and shiny and bouncy in a VERY long time. I would pay big bucks for my hair to look like this every day and instead I am only spending pennies! THANK YOU!! If life is this great in Oregon...I'm THERE!