Monday, May 9, 2011

Why I Run

I love running...

Because it gives ME my own identity. I'm not just a mom. I'm a RUNNER.

Because people tell me I can't or shouldn't. Say those words, and you can guarantee I WILL.

Because it feels good.

Because even when it doesn't feel good, it feels good
afterwards.

Because I love the sweat.

Because I love the hills.

Because the best showers are post-run showers.

Because my resting heart rate is now in the 40's.

Because it's taught me to push myself.

Because I can push and explore my limits.

Because I sleep better and deeper at night.

Because it keeps sickness away.

Because it reduces stress.

Because it fills me with positive emotions.

Because running to music feels like dancing.

Because it's the one thing I know I can accomplish in a day.

Because it makes me feel unconquerable.

Because I could probably outrun any attacker.

Because it brings me back to childhood.

Because of the sprint to the end.

Because it gives me a quantitative way to track my fitness progress.

Because my kids are watching and learning. They think they're runners to.

Because it is fun.

Because races are addicting.

Because finish lines make me cry.

Because early-morning runs allow me to see the sunrise.

Because it gives me freedom.

Because no other exercise compares.

Because it's ME time.

Because monster mom becomes happy mom.

Because when I'm done, I feel like I can conquer the world.

Because I can.

7 comments:

Anne said...

Moose thanks you for this blog post. I had absolutely no intention of running today, but this post reminded me of all the reasons I love to run too. So Moose and I ran for a couple of miles. He was in heaven! And so was I actually, haha.

Anna said...

Well said, I love it! I've never put it into words, but I think I will steal yours, because I agreed with every one of them. Thanks :)

grandmahand said...

Robyn you remind me of when I was in my teens and earlier. I LOVED RUNNING and even won a blue ribbon. Now my mind runs but my body doesn;t ccooperate. I sure do love you. Keep on running!!!!!!!

Jen said...

I so want to post this on facebook, don't know if you have a link there but if so I would totally "share" this! :)

Jill said...

Love it! My sentiments exactly.

Jer + Lu said...

Love, love, love it!!
Good luck with your marathon this weekend!!!

Jodi said...

Loved this list! Fits me life very much! Keep running!!


http://52weeksoftrailmadness.blogspot.com/