- A dog teaches children responsibility. They need to be fed, washed, walked, and loved. Studies have also linked pet ownership with high self-esteem in young children, and greater cognitive development. Children with pets also score significantly higher on empathy and pro-social scales! Forget pre-school, I just need to get me a dog!
- Dogs enhance family life! Dogs reduce tension, increase compassion, and make family walks more fun!
- Dogs are a great anti-depressant. Feeling blue? Cuddle with your dog for a while. Seriously...dogs increase the release of endorphins, and other pleasure-related hormones.
- Dog owners have a higher survival rate after a serious illness! Having regular PET visits in the hospital has shown to be even more effective than regular SPOUSE visits. Interesting.
- Pet owners have lower blood cholesterol levels and blood pressure. (Not to mention fewer doctor visits!) If you've never taken the opportunity to sit and stroke a dog, you're missing out. I need one to pet to lower my mommy-blood-pressure.
- People who walk their dogs are seen as friendly and approachable! (Pushing kids in the jogging stroller has ALMOST the same effect...EVERYONE wants to talk to me!)
Are you convinced? I'm not sure I can wait 10 more years to get a cute little make-me-vaccuum-a-LOT-more-often pup. How about you? Are you a dog lover? Or do you prefer heart-attack-risk-reducing cats? How has pet ownership improved your quality of life?