Friday, December 18, 2009

The FIFTH Day of Fitness...TRAVELING SNACKS

On the FIFTH Day of Fitness, the FitMePink Blog gave to me...HEALTHY SNACKS FOR TRAVELING!

Today and tomorrow, I am traveling. Yes, driving. Across the country. With TWO small children. For 27-ish hours. Sound fun? I'm hoping we survive. Strangely, I'm actually really looking forward to this road trip. I love seeing new parts of the country. It brings my little bubble of a world into perspective.

I grew up on road trips. The drive from Southern California to Utah used to feel so long, but now I would love to have my parents only 10 hours away instead of 27! Before becoming a parent, I didn't realize how much planning and preparation a long road trip could require. Twenty-seven hours worth of snacks and entertainment is no small task. If I could only just let them eat gas station junk, my life would be easier. But I can't. And actually, that much sugar in their systems for two days really wouldn't make my life easier in the long run. So I've shopped, and I've baked, and I've packed things that I'm okay with feeding my kids for the next few days on the road. (Not to mention 27-hours worth of movies for them to watch...how did our parents survive without DVD players in the car growing up?)

I'm going to let you in on a few of the goodies packed in the car. (That I'm choosing to share with you because I love them...not because any company has given me any incentives to share their products!)
SUN-RYPE fruitsource Mini Bites I HATE fruit snacks! The name is deceiving...they (for the most part) are NOT made of fruit! They are pure sugar! But these little fruit snacks are AWESOME! They are made of nothing BUT fruit! (And I buy them at Costco!)


This is another FAVORITE that my kids like even more than the Sun-Rype Mini Bites: Stretch Island Fruit Leathers. I buy a box of 48 from Costco for about $10. The flavors are awesome, and there's nothin' but fruit in them! They're a bit sticky, but I'm always prepared with lots of wet wipes! (Especially on road trips)!
With this pregnancy, I've actually had a major salt tooth. While these Sensible Portions "Veggie" Chips probably aren't the healthiest snack option out there, they are a great choice when you just need some chips! Yes...they are made with some veggies, a little salt, and they're baked. So less fat than regular potato chips! Yum!

I've also packed an assortment of trail mix, Chex mix, dried mangoes & berries, string cheese, apples, oranges, fresh pineapple slices, carrot sticks, and homemade goodies and muffins. Here are a few muffin recipes we'll be eating...enjoy!

Pear Muffins (From The Best Life Diet)

Nonstick cooking spray

1 1/4 cups nonfat milk

1/3 cup maple syrup

1/4 cup canola oil

1 egg, lightly beaten

2 cups All-Bran cereal (Original, not Extra Fiber)

3/4 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 large unpeeled pear, shredded (about 1 cup)

1/2 cup chopped prunes (dried plums) with orange essence

2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and place the rack in the center of the oven. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, mix the milk, maple syrup, oil, and egg. Stir in the All-Bran and let stand 5 minutes.

In another bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the bran mixture. Stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the pear and dried plums.

Divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of wheat germ over each muffin. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins feel springy when pressed gently. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the muffins to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing them from the pan. Serve warm or cool.

Pumpkin Muffins
(made in my blender!)

2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup pumpkin cooked
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cups flour (I use 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place all the ingredients in the blender in the order listed, or mix all together in a bowl. Pour into muffin cups, 1/3 full.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.

How do you survive long road trips? Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Death and Back said...

mmmm, those recipes look good I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing
~Sabrina