Monday, April 12, 2010

The China Study Survival Guide

Although most people I talk to about no longer eating meat think I'm crazy, I have a few friends who have jumped on the bandwagon with me! My husband's best friend (the one who brought him an envelope full of meat to their weekly basketball night to express his condolences for my new way of thinking) happens to be married to one of my best friends. His wife happened to read my library copy of The China Study, promptly went out and bought herself a copy, along with another copy to give to her mom, and is just as convinced as I am that meat, eggs, and dairy consumption really aren't good for us. Sorry, Colby :)

So, in attempt to change the nutritional habits of our families for the better (and to stop boring you with constant talk about my new mostly-vegan-but-we're-calling-it-flexitarian lifestyle), we've started a new blog. (http://chinastudysurvivalguide.blogspot.com/)

We'll post recipes we've tried, we'll let you in on how we modified the original recipes, what we would do differently next time (if there is a next time), and most importantly, what grade our husbands give the dish.

If there's something I really think you should try (whether or not you're living in the raw), I'll still post it here.

This weekend, I tried a dish called Israeli Moroccan Quinoa. My husband gave it a B! You can check it out here.

Kandis posted her version of black bean burgers (which did better than the ones I made that my husband called poop on toast) and a yummy strawberry-pear cobbler.

My sister-in-law is hoping to also post some experimental vegan recipes (hooray for another friend who doesn't think I'm crazy)! So check out The Great Vegan Experiment as we learn how the heck to live without meat!

8 comments:

Brittany said...

I don't think I can dive in quite as deep as you but I don't think you're crazy! :D

Kimberly said...

Avery looks like she is super happy and wants more!

Heather and Jake said...

My sister loves quinoa and is starting to be super health/organic conscious. I'm not quite yet, but am willing to try new things. If only they weren't all so dang expensive! Like I'd probably use agave nectar instead of sugar if it weren't like 12 bucks a bottle. Anyways, good job. And I just read your poop post and thoroughly enjoyed it, cuz I'm in the SAME BOAT. Oh man it was miserable after I had Cami. And now I rejoice every day when it's normal. Kashi Go Lean Crunch is one of my faves!

runner5260 said...

I know what you mean about people thinking you're crazy for not eating meat (I get the same!) - although I would argue the opposite :) Anyway - I'll be interested to try out the recipe.. I'm always looking for new ones to try, and although I enjoy cooking, time and energy isn't always plentiful..

Unknown said...

Glad to find someone else out there who is feeling the impacts of the China Study as well. So far, dairy and eggs have been the easiest for me to cut back on.

One of my husbands favorites though is meatless chili. And since he stays pretty gluten free its a big win win.

I look forward to seeing what other recipes you post. And seriously, who doesn't love hummus?

Kandis Mortensen said...

Have you ever loved meat so much that it makes you cry? Have you ever wanted meat so bad that you can't sleep at night? Have you ever tried to find that meat that makes you sooo happy? Have you ever? Have you ever? Happiness is when there is a little meat on your plate. Do I have any supporters??? Please visit my new blog site "Eatawholelottameat.blogspot.com"
with love, Colby

Kandis Mortensen said...

I think everyone should try quinoa. And eat it every day for a week. Asi todos pueden ver el sabor de cardboard.

Angela said...

Recently discovered your blog and LOVE IT! I too made the switch to vegan after reading The China Study. I have been vegetarian for most of my life, but it was still quite a transition.

Anyway, seems we have a lot of common interests. Very fun to find you!

I just started a blog about health, fitness, nutrition, etc. and will be posting vegan recipes and reviews. You're welcome to check it out. The blog is still a baby so not too many posts yet, but I'm working on it. Will be adding a vegan manicotti recipe tomorrow.
healthnutforlife.blogspot.com

Looking forward to reading more from you and I'll check out your other blogs as well.