Friday, December 27, 2013

Why I'm Running the Nashville Marathon as a St. Jude Hero

After a crazy year in 2013 (to sum it up...4th baby was born in April, husband working full time and in school, marathon in September, and all the crazy busy things that come with a new baby, new home, and 4 young kids), I'm grateful for the chance we have to reflect on the many blessings of the past year, as well as to set goals for the coming year.

I've always loved running.  When people ask me why I love to run, I've probably responded with one of these answers.  But my number one answer is: because I can

I'm so grateful for the body I've been blessed with.  Having a healthy, strong body is not something I take for granted.  My body has been the home to 4 beautiful babies (that have each left their mark).  My body is not perfect.  But my body is a gift.

For this reason, I've set a goal to run the Nashville Marathon in 2014 as a St. Jude Hero

Three years ago, my nephew Jack was born with Down Syndrome.  His birth, and the events that followed changed my life forever.  He spent the first few months of his life at Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah.  His life was saved.

I've committed to raising funds as a St. Jude Hero to support St. Jude's lifesaving mission of finding cures and saving children.  I'm running for a cause greater than medals or personal records.  I am not a doctor. I will never find a cure for cancer and other deadly diseases.  But I have two strong legs, and I can run. 

I am running this year for my nephews Jack, Jacob, and my niece Cathy.  Although not patients at St. Jude, their lives were all saved at a Children's Hospital.  (Read more about Cathy here.)  My family will be forever grateful for the care they received.

I need your support to help me reach my fundraising goal for the kids of St. Jude.  It costs $1.8 million a day to operate St. Jude.  Did you know that 70% of the funds come from the public?  That means that your donation, no matter what the size, will help!

How your donation helps:
  • No family ever pays St. Jude for anything, including lodging, food and travel.
  • St. Jude will continue to improve treatment of childhood cancer and other deadly diseases through groundbreaking research.
  • For every child treated at St. Jude, thousands more have been saved worldwide through St. Jude discoveries.
Thank you for your support!

Donate at http://heroes.stjude.org/robyngadd

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey I was reading your blog because I am an avid runner.. I love your stuff! I thought you may be interested in a new fitness line that is hitting the market at the end of Feb. A friend of mine is a sales representative for their company and she let me check out a sample. It's two women that are in the workout industry who developed fitness apparel based on a need. The clothing line is coming out at the end of Feb. and what they have created is a sweat proof pocket for your smart phone that sits on your side. I had the opportunity to try them and they are incredible, the material is fantastic.. I swear I looked two sizes smaller and they are so functional with the smart phone pocket on my hip. I could not even feel that it was there and it was compressed against my leg so it did not bounce. I am a business owner and I always need my phone on me but carrying it around is always problem. The company is called Fit Plus Wear, www.fitpluswear.com Functional Fitness Clothing with a PLUS! These pants are revolutionary and a must have for anyone that's active! I hope you check them out! Keep up the good work on your blog, loving all the information!