When your 2-year old spends several Saturday mornings cheering you and your hubby on as you race, he's bound to want to get out and...race! He has more will power in his little toes than you have in your entire body.
When your 2-year old is approaching his 3rd birthday, he'll want to have a party. And what could be a better party than one that includes three of his favorite things: running, biking, and racing! A birthday biathlon is the key to his happiness. What should you do?
- Chart out a course along the local jogging trail. Mark it with blue sidewalk chalk arrows pointing the way...you never know when someone's going to take a wrong turn!
- Instruct "race participants" to bring their bikes and running shoes.
- Give the biathlon-ers a choice...bikes or running. Switching from one to the other might just be more than 3-year-olds can emotionally handle.
- Have parents stationed around the course to cheer their racers on.
- Be thrilled as your 3-year-old comes in 2nd place!
- Smile as your one-year-old stains her entire body with a red-ice-cream-man-popsicle instead of racing.
- Give each little racer a medal, a juice box, and a banana.
- Love the accomplished look on each of their little faces.
- Eat the birthday boy's "Trail Cake".
- Laugh as the kids leave the cake to "race" again. (More cake for me! Why can't I have my priorities that straight?!?!)