Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Life AFTER the Freshman 15

It's no secret that I hate missing a workout. I'm the type who plans my day around my workouts, not my workouts around my day. Signing The Boy up for preschool really threw me for a loop. I had to re-arrange my workout schedule to accommodate his new schedule. Preschool would not change her schedule for me. (Rude, no?) In the normal, not-stay-at-home-mom world, people have to actually arrange workouts around other commitments. What a concept!


Working out has just become a normal, routine part of my daily life. It has been for several years, but it wasn't always. Though I've always enjoyed physical activity, before joining the gym after gaining the Missionary-Woman-30 (on top of the Freshwoman 15 I'd gained three years earlier), I was definitely just a sporadic worker-outer. My daily trek to and from campus had to count for something, right?


I have fond memories of college (and of Finnish pastries on my mission). From those years, however, I have actually very few memories of working out. My freshman year, some roommates and I joined a kickboxing class. We laughed at each other as we fumbled our way through it, but if something more fun was happening on kickboxing night, we'd skip the workout in a heartbeat. My first date with my now-husband was actually a 3-mile run (that almost killed me) as he was training for his first marathon. But we all know that the run wasn't just a run. Any exercise I did in college was more for the social benefits than the physical.


If I could go back, would I work out more? No way! I'm glad I had that time in life to socialize, be crazy, eat junk food, and occasionally fit in a workout with friends. I was in a completely different season of life, with very little worry about my physical health. I'm glad I wasn't obsessing over every slice of pizza-brownie-vending machine purchase. I enjoyed life. I was happy. I honestly barely noticed that the pounds were creeping on. I was too busy!


My life is completely different now than it was back then. I had so many outlets as a student that I really didn't need to set aside ME time. Everything in my life was about ME. I had no idea how different life as a mom would be. I only thought about dressing my perfectly behaved children in the cutest clothes, and wearing them on my hip as I would wear any new accessory. I didn't realize that in reality, NOTHING would be about ME anymore. Honestly, my workout is just about the only thing. So even if it means waking up at the crack o' dawn to get it, I'm going to get it. I can't live without it. As my kids get older, and my schedule more and more is merely a reflection of their schedule, I will still find a way to fit exercise in. I have to.


When I joined the gym 6 1/2 years ago, I knew I was making a lifetime commitment. So now that life has changed (as it always does), I'm not going to let the routine slip. Sure, I'm changing from working my life around my workouts. But I knew that one day my kids would start growing up, and I'd have to fit my workouts around my life. And I guess I'm OK with that. As I learned in college, living is really what it's all about. Exercising just helps me live better.

6 comments:

Crystal said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and I am so glad! I'm a fellow BYU alum :-) I heart running with a passion. Thanks for the motivation!

Kimberly said...

Welcome to my world! Luckily I have a job that keeps me fit or else I don't know when I would make it to the gym...LOL!

Lyenna Kemp said...

So true Robyn, that is exactly how I feel about it. However, I still work the kids schedule around my workout schedule. I'm not sure I'm ready to change that any time soon. Here's to a fit life:)

Michael said...

You didn't ask us all to comment this time... Does that mean I don't have to?

Good post. Good thing you got me to join the gym with you.

Diane said...

I'm glad you're getting your money's worth!!! It seemed like a big price to pay at the time, but now I realize what a "deal" it was! Great post!

Bonnie Wayne said...

You are definitley a more dedicated worker-outer than I. You go girl! I can totally relate to the mission 15 - made it 1st semester - lost it 2nd semester (14% body fat by the end of 2nd semester!)

Then the mission - for me 20 - but on my frame - looked like 30 I am sure. That was HARD. HARDEST thing ever. I VOWED that would never happen to me again - thus the path I chose in being a P.T. and nutrition FREAK.

I do the 3 X per week - 2 to 3 of those I teach. Is that cheating? I need to add in some other stuff. I missed teaching an exercise ball routine yesterday because my car wouldn't start - I was SO BUMMED!!!! I was really looking forward to it!